The original course consisted of 9 Holes laid out on a piece of ground known as "The Old Field" in the parish of Bromfield. The land itself was a wild expanse of land traversed by two turnpike roads, covered with Gorse, Broom and Bracken, a refuge for rabbits and other wildlife, with Sheep walks and grazing turf as used by Mr John Downes of the Butt Farm, Bromfield, from whom the Golf Club rented the land at a fee of £5 per annum. The race course had been long in existence around the site and it seems that Polo was played on the site before golf began.
The old field name may have derived from several sepulchral bronze age burial mounds dating between 2000 BC and 700 BC. The course still occupies this piece of land and the mounds or "tumps" can still be evidenced today behind the 9th & 15th greens and to the side of the 15th fairway.
The 120 Acres of "The Old Field" is an ecological oasis and haven for wildlife and players today are walking the same turf as the clubs fore-fathers.
The First President of the Club was Viscount Windsor and as the owner of "The Old Field", was largely instrumental in the successful launching of the club. Membership was drawn from the County and Professional classes of the time. The first Lady named in the records was Miss Prescott-Decie, who took part in the Annual Handicap of 1891, returning 72,81 = 153. In the same year the Juniors first appeared in a "Children's Handicap" won by C E Bagot with a gross 71.
At a general meeting in February of 1911 a decision was made that "the townspeople of Ludlow be elected members of the club, subject to the usual ballot", and so membership of the club became available to the general public.
Equality and an eye to the future has always been encouraged at Ludlow GC.
The course was originally extended to 18 holes by it's then professional in 1923 and in 1927 the now legendary 5 time Open Champion and architect, James Braid visited the site and presented a report for changes to the course (including the introduction of 45 bunkers) which was adopted by the committee and a loan of £200 obtained to complete the works.
This course with only minor maintenance adjustments remained in play until 1996.
In 1940 an exhibition match was played upon the course by Henry Cotton, J W Walker, W R Firkins and the Professional Tom Edwards in aid of the British Red Cross, which raised the sum of £120. Mr Cotton's team however were beaten on that day but his efforts for the war fund were no doubt greatly appreciated.
The club to this day hold an event on the day before Remembrance Sunday, the Armistice Cup, to raise funds for the Royal British Legion and have never lost sight of the debt owed to the men & women who have served with distinction.
For the first 20 Years of it's existence the club was without a Club House of it's own and accommodation was at the courtesy of the Race Club in the Race Club Buildings. In 1912 the first club house was built on it's present site "for no more than £300" on land donated by the Earl of Plymouth for the purpose.
The appearance was more of that of a cricket pavilion than a Golf Club House, with a tiny bar and a roof that leaked "prodigiously" and a lounge area. There was no hot water in the locker rooms. Behind the lounge was accommodation area where the professional and his family resided.
The club had minor extensions through the years with a larger scheme undertaken in 1953 at an estimated cost of £432 by raising the subscription by £1 which elicited many threats of resignation.
In 1974 the frontage was extended outward and it became the structure as pictured.
In 1983 the older clubhouse was replaced by a new construction, Opened by the Earl of Plymouth, which remains in place today and was extended in 1998.
The Club celebrated it's centenary with a week of Open Golf Events and a match against Minchinhampton Golf club also celebrating their centenary.
There was an aerial visit from the British Army Parachute display team, The Red Devils.
The club also held a centenary dinner where the guest of honour was the then Captain of the R & A, Sir Michael Bonallack, OBE.
The course was redesigned to take out holes that were played across one of the old turnpike roads that had now become the B4365 and was becoming increasingly busy.
This was the first major change since the 1927 James Braid redesign.
The Club elected the first Female President in it's 125 year history.
Edna Spanner took up the sport of golf almost 40 years ago following in the footsteps of her husband Roy and son Colin.
After many years spent on the committee, Edna became the Ladies' captain in 1993.
She has since given her time to the club serving on the ladies committee in a host of roles.
The Club celebrated it's 125 year anniversary in matches against another Golf club celebrating it's 125 years, Epsom Golf Club, coincidentally another course within the confines of a Race Course.
The existing committee structure was rescinded and the club was incorporated as a company limited by guarantee to limit the liability of it's members and to modernise the administration of the Golf Club.
It's first elected Chairman was Lin Thompson, a former Ladies Captain and long term member of the Club.
It's first point of business was to successfully negotiate the managing of the club through the COVID pandemic.